28 February 2021 | General

Anderson snares last-lap Bathurst win as McCorkindale takes Round 1

A safety car and a last lap pass gave Michael Anderson his first victory in Dunlop Super 3 at Mount Panorama, though the overall round one win in the 2021 series went to Jon McCorkindale.

In his ex-Dick Johnson Racing Ford Falcon FG, McCorkindale was the comfortable race leader in today’s 12-lap affair, despite a moment at Murrays Corner on lap eight.

However, his lead was nullified when the safety car came out to retrieve second placed Nash Morris – also in an ex-DJR FG – struck oil, slid off and bunkered in the Murrays Corner sand trap.

After the resumption, the Bathurst-based Anderson locked onto the back of the leader before making his move in the Chase on the final lap to take his first Super3 Series win. 

“I had a really big moment on top of the mountain (Sulman Park) some laps before and was lucky to get away with it. The car was good although without the safety car, I don’t think I could have won,” Anderson said.

McCorkindale said he did not fight the lead change too hard.

“We have not changed the car all week, but it did have a small misfire out of the load corners. He (Anderson) was able to get alongside me onto the straight . . . and I knew we would still win the round,” he explained.

McCorkindale had a 0.45 second advantage in qualifying over Reef McCarthy, Nash Morris, and Anderson as the Falcon FGs locked out the first two rows, while best of the Holden Commodores was fifth-fastest Blake Fardell.

However, the 17-year-old would be a non-starter after he bounced off the concrete wall whilst negotiating Reid Park – The rear suspension too badly damaged to repair in time.

Third spot in the race went to Brendan Strong in his Holden Commodore VE, while Reef McCarthy (FG) was fourth. McCarthy was second from the start until he slid off the road at the Chase resuming in fifth.

Next was Jim Pollicina, who capitalised when Jason Gomersall’s Falcon was forced off line by a slower Super 2 car and lost a potential fourth place finish.

Ray Hislop did not qualify because of an oil pressure sensor problem in his Falcon BA but started and finished seventh ahead of the BF model Ford driven by Tony Auddino.

Following the first two races of the season, McCorkindale leads the championship with 288 points, Anderson sitting second (252) and Brendan Strong (249) third.

Anderson also leads Strong in the Super3 Cup standings, while McCorkindale leads the outright Championship class over McCarthy and Morris.

The Dunlop Super3 Series will see a lengthy break prior to the next round of the championship, to be held at Winton Raceway on May 29-30.

Race 2 Results – Mount Panorama

Pos Car Competitor/Team Driver Vehicle CL Laps Race.Time
1 5 Anderson Motorsport Michael Anderson Ford Falcon FG SC3 12 28:55.6
2 69 Dial Before You Dig Jon McCorkindale Ford Falcon FG CH 12 28:55.9
3 75 Linc Scsffolding Brendan Strong Holden Commodore SC3 12 28:56.3
4 61 Image Racing Reef McCarthy Ford Falcon FG CH 12 29:00.4
5 7 Mocomm Motorsport Comms Jim Pollicina Holden Commodore SC3 12 29:01.8
6 35 Unit Racing Jason Gomersall Ford Falcon FG SC3 12 29:05.2
7 23 R.H.M Ray Hislop Ford Falcon BA SC3 12 29:10.8
8 4 Crusher Parts International Tony Auddino Ford Falcon BF SC3 12 29:21.9
9 67 Flash Bush Motorsport Nash Morris Ford Falcon FG CH 11 29:08.4
NC 17 Resurrection Panel N Paint Jason Foley Ford Falcon BF SC3 5 11:39.8
NC 2 Page Bros Jayco Steven Page Holden Commodore SC3 4 10:15.4